Thokku is nothing but well sauteed vegetable(s) with spice brought to reduction until oil is visible. Unlike pickle, it can be readily served. Grinding/ blending is not required for this recipe. I suggest to use a good non stick saucepan for reduction as it can stick at the bottom and the chance of getting burnt is high.
- Prep time – 5 mins
- Cooking time – 30 mins
- Serves – 2
- Tomatoes (fresh) – 3 diced or whole ( diced tomatoes makes the cooking time fast)
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tablespoon
- Ground coriander – 1/2 tablespoon
- Ground Turmeric – a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Red chili pepper – 1 dry
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Split black gram – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves
- In a hot saucepan, add the oil and the seasoning ingredients. Once the mustard splutters, add the split black gram and the curry leaves.
|Sauteing the tomatoes|
|Boiling the mixture with spices|
|Chutney is almost done|
- Then add the diced tomatoes. Saute well. Add the salt to fasten the process.
- Once the tomatoes are well sauteed, add water to it and then goes it the ground red chili pepper, turmeric and coriander. Bring it to a boil. Close with the lid over a medium / low heat.
- Let the tomatoes are cooked very well for 10 mins. Open the lid and bring it to reduction till the oil gets separated. Stir often to prevent the burning at the bottom.
- Serve hot with idli, dosa, chappathi/ roti.