Prawn masala is a simple but very delicious recipe which is made by cooking raw prawns in a mild masala. Masala is generally onion, tomato, garlic. Adding mint to the recipe gives an awesome flavour which can be served with rice, tiffins like idli, dosa.
It is my all time favorite breakfast recipe. Nowadays I am having this as lunch. Recipes like omelette, gravy, biryani, fritters, fried rice, noodles, grills etc can be prepared from prawns. Very small shrimps can be dried and used as pickle, crushed with salt and used as gunpowder for idli and dosa. I am sharing a very basic mom’s recipe in this post.
- Prep time – 15 mins ( for deveined prawns. For fresh prawns, it will 30 mins to 45 mins)
- Cooking time – 30 mins
- Serves – 2
- Prawns – 1.5 pound (680 gms) fresh or frozen
- Onion – 1 medium ( finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Garlic – 1 medium ( crushed)
- Red chilli powder – 1 and half tablespoon
- Coriander powder – 1 and half tablespoon
Note: The above 2 ingredients can be replaced if home chilli powder is used.
- Salt to taste
- Ground turmeric – a pinch
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Mint leaves – few (fresh or dried)
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
This dish can be improvised by adding some vegetables to the dish like Valor beans ( Avaraikkaai), bottle gourd, etc., Hope you liked this recipe. I will share another interesting recipe in my next post. Your feedback and suggestions are welcome.