Biryani is generally made with the mixture of spice, rice and meat. For vegetable lovers, meat can be replaced by veggies. Usually in biryani, meat is cooked separately and added with the cooked rice and dum cooking is done. For a small family, with small quantity rice, I have made this simple method without dum cooking. Many people get confused biryani with pulao. Biryani is cooked with stronger spice whereas pulao is a very plain dish. Also in a meal, biryani is served as the primary food whereas pulao is served as the part of the meal.
In this post, I am sharing a south indian style single pot biryani which has the spices midway between the biryani and pulao. Biryani can be done in many ways like dum cooking, using pressure cooker, in a proper tight saucepan, microwave, etc., This is very simple for homestyle biryani in which biryani is made by using a saucepan and then in microwave. In this, I am not going to add the ground masala for biryani. Let me share that in future posts.
- Prep time – 20 mins
- Cooking time – 30 mins
- Serves – 3
- Basmati Rice – 1 and half cup ( 240 ml )
- Water – 480 ml
- Onion – 1 medium sliced and halved
- Tomato – 2 medium sliced
- Green chillies – 2 to 3 sliced
- Fennel seeds – 1 tablespoon ( crushed)
- Cashews – 1 tablespoon ( split and halved)
- Mint leaves – 1/2 teaspoon dried ( a handful for fresh leaves)
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Mushroom of your choice – 1 small pack ( cut into medium pieces)
- Whole milk plain yogurt – 1 tablespoon
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Clarified butter /Ghee – 2 tablespoon
- Cloves – 3
- Cinnamon – 2 inch stick one number
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cardamom – 1 pod
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Wash and soak the rice in normal water after slicing up the vegetables and making Ginger garlic paste ready.
|Soaking rice in water|
|Tempering with cashews and other whole spices|
- In a sauce pan, heat clarified butter and oil. Add cinnamon stick, cloves, bay leaves, cardamom pod along with the cashews over low /medium flame till the cashews turn brown.
- Now add the green chillies, onions. Saute well till translucent.
|Sauteing with ginger garlic paste and vegetable.|
|Oil separates out from the masala.|
- Add the ginger garlic paste in and saute well till the raw smell vanishes. At this stage, add in the tomatoes along with mushrooms along with salt, red chilli powder, fennel, plain yogurt. Saute it very well so that the oil gets separated. Add curry leaves and mint, cilantro. Mix well.
- Check the salt and the spice at this time and it has to be a bit higher as it is going to get cooked with the rice.
- Pour the water double the rice quantity. Allow it to boil. While it boils, add the soaked rice in.
- Mix well gently and cover it. Get the rice cooked by taking almost all the water.
- Now it’s time to transfer the mixture to a large microwave proof mixing bowl. Cook it covered for 3 mins high. Mix well and again cook it for 3 mins high. Once the rice is completely done, uncover it and cook it for 3 more mins.
- The previous step can also be replaced by doing “Dum”. This can be done by heating a waste griddle which is no longer in use alongside while sauteing the vegetables before adding rice. Once the rice in sauce pan is 85 percent done, take the covered pan and place it on the heated griddle. Seal the pan with a foil sheet or dough ( wheat), let it sit for 15 to 18 mins over low flame.
- Serve hot with onion raita, chips, etc.,
Hope you enjoyed this recipe. I will share another interesting and easy recipe in my next post. Your feedback and suggestions are welcome. Have a wonderful day!