Crab masala is a traditional way of cooking crab with light masala along with coconut milk. A very tasty way of cooking crab can be served for lunch or dinner. Usually when this recipe is made, it is better to drink milk after the meal. The recipe is the best served with idli, dosa, rice.
Crabs can be eaten in various ways around the world. In some dishes, boiled crab can be used like crab cake. But in this recipe, raw crab is well cleaned and cooked along with the masala gives a phenomenal flavor and taste. The masala will be nicely gone all through the crab.
- Prep time – 30 mins
- Cooking time – 30 mins
- Serves – 2
- Crab – 1 and half pound
- Salt to taste
- Ground turmeric – a pinch
- Onion – 1 large ( finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1 large ( finely chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Coconut – 1/2 cup ( grated)
- Pepper corns – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 160 ml
- Oil – 2 tablespoon
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Cut, clean and wash crab.
- Add enough salt, ground turmeric, chilli and coriander powder. Mix well and marinate the crab.
- While the crab is marinated, chop the onion, tomato and grate the coconut.
- Grind the coconut, peppercorns, fennel seeds into a smooth paste.
- In a deep cooking pot, add onion and saute till translucent.
- Then goes in the ginger garlic paste. Saute till the raw smell vanishes. Add the tomatoes in.
- After the tomato is very softened, add in the crab. Mix well and cover the pot. Let it cook for 5 mins.
- Add in the coconut paste and mix well. Bring it to a boil and cover the pot over high flame and medium heat over 10 mins till the oil gets separated. Add the curry leaves.
- Serve hot along with idli, dosa, rice.
Hope you liked this recipe. I will share another interesting recipe in my next post. Your feedback and suggestions are welcome.