Carrot rice is one of the easy and tasty lunch box recipes. Carrot is a good source of Vitamin A, C, K and B6. The colour of the rice is due to the natural colour from carrot. With no masala, it gives a simple taste with a bit of sweetness. This rice can be served with papad or any fryums.
|Carrot Rice with papad|
- Prep time – 15 mins
- Cooking time – 20 + 20 mins ( including boiling time of rice)
- Serves -2
- Orange Carrot – 1 cup ( grated)
- Boiled rice – 1 cup (160 ml) Ponni Rice/ Sona Masoori
- Onion- 1 small ( finely chopped)
- Green chillies – 2 ( cut into halves)
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Split black gram – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Boil 1 cup rice with 2 and half cups of water in rice cooker.
- Once the rice is done, immediately transfer it to another bowl and let it completely cool down.
|Tempering with onions and green chillies|
|With carrots in|
|With rice added|
|Cooking the rice with carrots in closed pan|
|Rice is about to be done|
- Meanwhile get the ingredients ready for the recipe.
- In a shallow pan, add oil over medium heat and the mustard seeds, split black gram.
- While the mustard seeds splutter and black gram changes slightly brown colour, add the green chillies and onion. Saute well.
- Now add the grated carrot and salt in. Saute well over low and medium heat; covered and open till the carrot cooks soft enough.
- Now add the rice into it and mix well. Cook for another 3 to 5 mins in covered and open pan over medium and low heat.
- Add curry leaves and serve hot.
Stay tuned for more recipes. Your feedback and suggestions are welcome. Follow my blog for updates. Happy cooking!