Kerala style Chicken curry is a rich flavored chicken curry prepared by using roasted and ground spices which locks its actual flavor. It gives a creamy texture to the curry because of the coconut milk which tastes good with normal rice, ghee rice, jeera rice ( cumin ), even with chappati, roti, naan (indian bread).
- Prep time – 30 mins
- Cooking time – 30 mins
- Serves – 2
- Cuisine – Indian
– For Marination:
- Chicken – 1/2 pound ( 1 boneless breast cut into pieces)
- Red chilli powder – 3/4 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Ground turmeric – a pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Ground pepper corns – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curd or Sour cream or Plain yogurt – 1 tablespoon
– Roasting and Grinding:
- Coriander seeds – 1 and half tablespoon
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cloves – 4
- Cardamom – 2 pods
- Pepper corns – 1/4 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds – 3/4 teaspoon
- Cumin – 1/4 teaspoon
- Dried red chillies – 3 to 4
– For Curry :
- Onion – 1 medium ( diced )
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tablespoon
- Coconut milk – 120 ml
- Edible Coconut oil – 1 and half tablespoon ( Oil of your choice can also be used)
- Water – till it covers the chicken
- Edible Coconut oil – 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chilli – 1 ( seeds removed)
- Pearl Onions – 3 to 4
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Add the marination ingredients to the cut chicken breast. Let it be marinated for 30-35 mins.
- Meanwhile, dry roast the “roast and grind” ingredients in low flame with continuous stirring for 8 to 10 mins till the raw smell vanishes.
- Cool it. And grind the mixture by adding little bit of water into a fine paste.
- Heat oil in pan and add the onions. Saute well.
- To the translucent onions, add the ginger garlic paste. Saute well till the raw smell goes off.
- Add the marinated chicken in and pour the grounded masala into the chicken and mix well with some water. Cover the pan and let the chicken along with masala cook in the low flame.
- Once the chicken is done cooking, add in the coconut milk and close it for 5 – 8 mins.
- Make a thick curry by evaporating the water in the open pan.
- In another pan, pour the oil for seasoning in. Add the sliced pearl onions and the broken red chilli in. Add curry leaves and pour this into the thick chicken curry.
- Serve hot along with boiled eggs or potato chips for rice.
Hope you will like this recipe. Post you another interesting recipe in next session. Your tips and suggestions are welcome.