It is the most popular breakfast in Northern part of India. One of the very simple and easy recipes made from Flattened rice ( also called as beaten rice) with mild seasoning tastes so good along with sugar and lemon juice. It can also be done with brown flattened rice.
- Prep time – 10 mins
- Cooking time – 15 mins
- Serves – 2
- Cuisine – Indian
- Flattened Rice – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 small / Pearl onions – 7 to 8 ( finely chopped)
- Green chillies – 2 ( finely chopped)
- Carrot – 1/2 ( finely diced)
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Ground turmeric – a pinch
- Oil – 2 teaspoons
- Mustard – 1/2 teaspoon
- Black gram – 1/2 teaspoon
- Split chickpeas – 1/2 teaspoon
- Peanuts – 1 tablespoon
- Curry leaves
- Wash and drain flattened rice. Keep the completely water drained in a bowl.
- In a pan, heat oil in medium flame – add mustard seeds, split chickpeas, split black gram, peanuts.
- Once the peanut is roasted, add in the green chillies, onion, carrots and salt. Saute well.
- Add ground turmeric. Mix well.
- Now add the flattened rice in. Mix well along with sugar and lemon juice. Garnish with curry leaves. Serve hot.
This upma can be eaten just like that. No need for side dish. Hope you like the recipe and your feedback are welcome.