It is a nice warm day and took my daughter to the nearby park. As it’s already late, I asked her what would she like to have for lunch. She immediately said “Chicken!” I am running out of chicken in my freezer. But she really wanted to have some chickeny lunch. While thinking of what to make that could taste exactly like chicken, I remembered one recipe. Yes! Gobi Manchurian. I call cauliflower as Vegetarian’s Chicken.
We only eat vegetarian food in auspicious days. I always ask mom to cook cauliflower during those days to compensate the feel of eating a non – Veg food! Funny me.. Cauliflower is a low fat vegetable which has dietary fiber, vitamins B, C,etc.,
Cauliflower Manchurian is a fusion of Chinese seasonings with the Indian tastes. It is a must order restaurant dish especially as an appetizer. It’s cooking as a two stages. First, Cauliflower florets are dipped in batter and deep fried once. Second stage is preparing a sauce and add in the second time fried florets. Interestingly, in this recipe when a floret is bitten it gives crispy, chewy, tangy, salty and crunchy along with a bit of sweet taste.
- Prep time – 30 mins
- Cooking time – 30 mins
- Serves – 2
- Cuisine – Indo- Chinese
For deep frying cauliflower :
- White Cauliflower – 1 small ( cut the florets out)
- All purpose flour – 1/2 cup (170 gms)
- Corn starch – 1/4 cup ( 85 gms)
- Ground pepper corn – 1/2 teaspoon
- Soy sauce – 1 teaspoon
- Oil for deep frying
For the sauce part:
- Oil – 1 and half teaspoon
- Ginger – 1 teaspoon ( finely chopped)
- Garlic – 1 teaspoon ( finely chopped)
- Green chillies – 1 ( finely chopped)
- Onion – 1 small ( finely chopped)
- Bell Peppers – Green and orange mixed – 2 tablespoons ( fine brunoise cut/ finely diced)
- Soy sauce – 1 and half teaspoon
- Hot red chilli sauce – 1 and half teaspoon
- Sugar – 1/2 teaspoon
- Vinegar or Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon
- Spring onion for garnishing
- Blanch the Cauliflower florets.
Note : Blanching is a process of adding vegetables or fruits in a boiling water for 2 – 4 mins and immediately removed from the boiling water and plunge them into ice water or cold running water. By doing this the cooking process of the vegetable stops suddenly and the vegetable or fruit can lock its freshness and flavor.
- For the batter,
– In a mixing bowl, add all the deep frying ingredients except cauliflower and oil.
Note : Watch out for the level of salt as the soy sauce has some salt in it.
– Meanwhile in a deep frying pan, pour oil and keep the stove in high flame. Add water to the mixing bowl and mix the flour so that it forms a pouring consistency batter. Dip the cauliflower florets so that batter covers the florets completely.
|Florets after first time frying|
– Once the oil is heated ( The temperature should not exceed 365 deg Fahrenheit), deep fry the batter dipped florets for 2 mins and keep them aside.
- For sauce,
|Adding veggies in for sauce|
|Finely chopped Ginger Garlic|
– In another deep cooking pot, pour oil and add ginger, garlic, onion, bell peppers, green chillies along with enough salt( can be less). Saute well.
– Once the vegetables are well sauteed, add soy sauce, hot chilli sauce, lemon juice, sugar and mix it well. Let it form a saucy texture. Meanwhile, deep fry the already deep fried florets for the second time in same temperature range for 2 -3 mins and add in this sauce. Mix them well and garnish it with spring onions. Oops! I didn’t do that!
|Sauce and second time frying hand in hand|
|Adding in the second time fried florets|
- Serve with fried rice or as an appetizer. I bet you will ask for more! Post your tips and comments. Thank you!